Changes to interchange, high street and road layouts to aid social distancing
1 month ago
A number of interchange, high street and road layouts are being changed by councils over the coming days to aid social distancing.
Please double-check bus stop, stand and interchange arrangements as many will be subject to short notice change.
- From 6pm on Friday 12 June, there will be some changes in Sunderland.
- Westbound bus stops on Holmeside will be relocated to Vine Place.
- Eastbound bus stops on Vine Place will be closed. Buses will be diverted via Stockton Terrace and Burdon Road. An additional bus stop will be in place on Stockton Terrace (near Age UK) - passengers are advised to use this temporary stop, or other stops in the City Centre on Fawcett Street and Borough Road.
- From 8pm on Friday 12 June, Newbottle Street in Houghton-le-Spring will be one-way (Southbound only) to allow pavements to be widened. Northbound services will use bus stops near Lidl on Hillside Way instead of Houghton Church.
- Connections 4 will operate normal route.
- From Monday 15 June, as part of intu Metrocentre's COVID-19 response, there will be some changes to bus arrangements.
- Buses will drop off opposite the Metrocentre Interchange building allowing you direct access to the malls. If you are changing between services, you will need to use the access bridge to cross from the set down area to the Interchange building to board your next bus.
Eldon Square Bus Station
- From Monday 15 June, as part of intu Eldon Square's COVID-19 response, there will be some changes to bus arrangements.
- Services 6, 6A, 10, 10A, 10B, 10X, 12, 12A, 45, 47, 97, X30, X45, X46 and X47 will terminate at Newgate Street (St Andrew's Church) and will use Eldon Square as pick up only.
- Service 74 will terminate near the Civic Centre on Barras Bridge, but will still pick up from Eldon Square.
- All other services will still operate to and from Eldon Square as normal.
Haymarket Bus Station
- From Monday 15 June, Haymarket Bus Station in Newcastle will be used for boarding only. Please alight your service at St Mary's Place.
- From Monday 15 June, Middlesbrough Bus Station will reopen for customers to board services until 7pm each evening.
- You'll still alight your service at the BBC building on Newport Road (Stand Z) and if you're travelling after 7pm you will need to board your bus from Stand Z.
- From Monday 15 June, there will be some changes to Chester-le-Street Front Street to aid social distancing, but all bus stops will remain the same.
- From Wednesday 1 July, Coaster 1A and 1B towards Metrocentre will be unable to operate via Beach Road and Grand Parade in Tynemouth while measures are in place to facilitate social distancing. Buses will operate via Broadway and Percy Park, resuming normal route at Percy Park Road.
- From Wednesday 1 July, High Street West in Wallsend will be closed so buses will be unable to serve bus stops at Barclays Bank and Skin & Tonic Hair. Please board your bus at Station Road near The Anson.
- From Monday 27 July, Jackson Street will be closed.
- Services from/to the south to use High West Street and observe stops at The Gloucester.
- Services 1A and 1B will use Charles Street, then left onto High Street.
- Services 53 and Q2 will omit High Street and use Lambton Street.
- Service 94 will divert via Lambton Street, Prince Consort Road, Charles Street then left to High West Street in to the bus station.
We are expected to receive further changes at short notice. Please keep checking back for the latest information.