There has been a formal park at the site since 1857 with its history being both colourful and diverse.
Wharton Park was created by William Lloyd Wharton (1789-1867). He lived nearby at Dryburn, (where the hospital is today). William inherited the land on which the park and railway station was built.
In 2016, restoration work was completed at Wharton Park funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Big Lottery Fund and the council. Improvements included a new Heritage Centre, cafe, new play areas and improvements to the park's amphitheatre, miniature car track, footpaths, signs and main entrances.