Go North East launches magical Santa bus tour across the region
10 months ago
Go North East has launched its magical open-top Santa bus which will be touring the region right up until Christmas Eve.
The region’s largest bus operator is hoping to spread some Christmas cheer in a time where a lot of things are unable to go ahead, and children will not be able to visit Santa as they usually would.
The bus has been decorated with Christmas lighting that has been kindly donated by Parkside Community Centre, and of course features Santa too.
The Santa bus tour will not stop at any of the locations but will be moving slow enough to get your photos and videos.
Keep your eyes peeled each evening as it passes through the region’s villages, towns and cities.
Don't forget to share your photos and videos on social media using #GNESantaBus to enter the Santa bus tour competition.
Go North East Santa bus tour – locations and approximate times
- Tuesday 15 December – starting from 4pm, visiting Washington, Wardley Estate, Leam Lane, Heworth, Sunderland Road, Gateshead Interchange, Bensham, Whickham, Fellside Park, Swalwell, Metrocentre, Dunston, Blaydon and Winlaton Bus Station.
- Wednesday 16 December – starting at 3.45pm, visiting Chester Road in Sunderland, Penshaw, Shiney Row, Bournmoor, Woodstone Village, Chester-le-Street, Pelaw Estate, Pelton, Beamish, Stanley Bus Station, Annfield Plain, Leadgate, Consett Bus Station, Lanchester, Witton Gilbert, Aykley Heads and Durham Bus Station, Gilesgate and Carrville – view 16 December route map.
- Thursday 17 December – visiting Houghton-le-Spring (3.45pm), Hetton-le-Hole (4.05pm), Low Moorsley, Easington Lane (4.25pm), South Hetton, Easington Village (4.40pm), Peterlee (5.10pm), Hordon, Easington Colliery (5.25pm), Dalton Park (5.40pm), Murton (5.45pm), Dawdon, Parkside, Seaham Harbour (6pm), Deneside, Seaham Grange (6.25pm) and Ryhope (6.40pm) – view 17 December route map.
- Friday 18 December – visiting Sunderland Park Lane (4pm), Roker (4.15pm), Whitburn, East Boldon (4.35pm), West Boldon (4.40pm), Hebburn (5.20pm), Lukes Lane (5.30pm), Heworth (5.50pm), Gateshead Interchange (6pm) and Low Fell (6.15pm) – view 18 December route map.
- Saturday 19 December – visiting Teams (1pm), Dunston, Metrocentre, Blaydon (1.15pm), Winlaton Bus Station (1.25pm), Rowlands Gill (1.35pm), Chopwell (1.50pm), High Spen (2pm), Stocksfield, Riding Mill (2.40pm), Corbridge (2.50pm), Hexham (3pm), Castleside (4.30pm), Moorside, Consett, Leadgate, Dipton (4.50pm), Pickering Nook, Burnopfield (5pm), Sunniside (5.15pm), Lobley Hill (5.30pm), Team Valley (5.40pm) and Kibblesworth (6.15pm) – view 19 December route map.
- Sunday 20 December – visiting South Shields (3.45pm), Marsden (4.10pm), Westoe (4.30pm), West Harton (4.35pm), Simonside (4.45pm), Chirton (5.10pm), North Shields (5.20pm), Tynemouth (5.30pm), Preston Grange (5.50pm), Wallsend (6.15pm), Byker (6.30pm), Newcastle Quayside, Newcastle (6.40pm) and Sage Gateshead (6.55pm) – view 20 December route map.
- Monday 21 December – visiting Concord Bus Station (3.45pm), Blackfell (3.55pm), Oxclose, Lambton (4.10pm), Vigo Lane, Harraton (4.35pm), Fatfield, Washington Village (5pm), Barmston (5.10pm), Town End Farm (5.35pm), Downhill, Hylton Red House (5.50pm), Witherwack and Southwick (6.05pm) – view 21 December route map.
- Tuesday 22 December – visiting Newcastle Haymarket (4pm), Coast Road/Benfield Road (4.15pm), Battle Hill (4.35pm), Hadrian Park, New York (5.05pm), Whitley Bay (5.30pm), Monkseaton, Shiremoor (6pm), Palmersville, Forest Hall (6.30pm), Longbenton (6.45pm), South Gosforth and Jesmond (7pm) – view 22 December route map.
- Wednesday 23 December – visiting Plawsworth (12pm), Sacriston (12.10pm), Langley Park (12.25pm), Ushaw Moor (12.40pm), New Brancepeth, Brandon (12.50pm), Durham (1.15pm), bus will then run via the A690 to East Herrington (2pm), Farringdon, New Silksworth (2.15pm), Ryhope Colliery, Hollycarrside (2.30pm), Grangetown (2.40pm), Sunderland Fawcett Street (2.55pm), Roker, Seaburn Park (3.10pm) and Monkwearmouth (3.30pm) – view Wednesday 23 December route map.
- Christmas Eve – visiting Sunderland (11am), Chester-le-Street (11.45am), Harlow Green (12.15pm), Team Valley, Bensham (12.30pm), Gateshead Interchange (12.45pm), Newcastle (1pm) and Low Fell (1.40pm) – view Christmas Eve route map.
The schedule is subject to change – follow Go North East’s Facebook and Twitter pages for the latest updates. Please follow social distancing guidelines when you are out waiting for the Santa bus, and please do not travel to see it.
Commenting on the tour, Go North East’s managing director Martijn Gilbert, said: “We’re delighted to be spreading some festive cheer this Christmas, especially at a time when a lot of events can’t go ahead as they usually would.
“The Santa bus will be touring as much as the region as possible, so keep your eyes peeled as it passes through your area.”
The company also published details of its Christmas and New Year buses earlier this month, so whether you are commuting to and from work, looking for that special Christmas gift, or visiting friends and family as part of your bubble, Go North East has your festive travel needs wrapped up.