Easy Access for everyone
On all easy access buses, wheelchairs, mobility scooters, walking frames and disability adapted pushchairs have priority in the dedicated wheelchair space.
There is room for one user and each bus has a retractable ramp which makes access easier. Our buses comply with regulations for the size and width that can be accommodated.
- On all Go North East buses, including buses with two doors, you board at the front doors where the ramp is located.
- Once on board, position yourself in the wheelchair space with your back against the rear-facing backrest and apply the brake. The wheelchair space may have a folding seat which other passengers can use. The seat will be easy to fold up, even if you have impaired movement or strength. On some buses a folding arm rail is also fitted. Our drivers will be happy to help with this if required.
- To leave the bus, press the bell next to the wheelchair space shortly before your stop to inform the driver that you would like to get off. The bus will pull in close to the curb and you can disembark at the front doors where the driver will place the ramp.
- The wheelchair space is a dedicated space for use by passengers using wheelchairs, mobility scooters or other mobility aids. Whilst this space may be used by other passengers, such as carers with children’s buggies, it must be vacated by them if a wheelchair user requires the space. Signage on the bus supports this and the driver will provide all reasonable assistance to ensure this is observed.
Wheelchairs & powered wheelchairs
- We can accommodate most wheelchairs and powered wheelchairs providing they are no more than 1200mm long and 700mm wide with a total weight not exceeding 300kg.
- We can accommodate most mobility scooters providing they are no more than 1200mm long and 700mm wide with a total weight not exceeding 300kg.